TFS 2010 with SharePoint 2010 Enterprise SP1–Excel Dashboards do not display anything

I was working with a client recently and got burned by a SharePoint 2010 SP1 Excel Services bug that I’d like to document here.  This bug is known and has been fixed by Microsoft, but finding the information on it was difficult.  I’m hoping that this post will be more “findable” for others.

The Setup

This client had an existing TFS that utilized a shared SharePoint 2010 Enterprise instance as well as a shared Reporting Services 2008 instance.  They had been having issues with the SQL Server 2008 instance and the SharePoint 2010  instance and had abandoned using the TFS-created project portals many months ago.  To get them back to a standardized installation, we decided to take the opportunity to move them to dedicated instances for all 3 services.  We created a new server to host SQL Server 2008 SP1(2008R2 was not supported by their DBAs so it was not an option), a second server to host the SharePoint 2010 Enterprise SP1 instance and we installed SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 SP1 on their existing TFS 2010 App Tier.

The Problem

After getting all of the machines installed and configured and the TFS databases migrated, we verified that the TFS Data Warehouse and Analysis Cube jobs were running and that there was data flowing into the warehouse relational store and analysis services cube.  We used the TFS 2010 Power Tools to create a new team project portal for the existing team project on the new SharePoint 2010 server and a new Reporting Services site on the SSRS instance.

To test this out we opened up some reports and we saw data.  We then opened up the team project’s SharePoint portal and saw the screen below.  As you can see, the Task Burndown, Task Progress, in fact, all of the Excel Services based dashboards just show the Loading… graphic without ever actually loading the charts.

SNAGHTML1c08cbd

If we look at the Application Event Log on the SharePoint server we see the following entry:

 1: Log Name: Application
 2: Source: Microsoft-SharePoint Products-Excel Services Application
 3: Date: 4/11/2012 2:48:53 PM
 4: Event ID: 2026
 5: Task Category: Excel Calculation Services
 6: Level: Warning
 7: Keywords: 
 8: User: [DOMAINUser]
 9: Computer: [Fully-qualified machine name]
 10: Description:
 11: An internal error occurred.
 12:  at Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.MossHost.MossHost.Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.Host.IEwaHost.IsSecureConnection()
 13:  at Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.EwaCUIDataSource.EnsureDocument()
 14:  at Microsoft.Web.CommandUI.CUIDataSource.RunQuery(UIQuery query)
 15:  at Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.EwaRibbon.QueryRibbonDataSource(CultureInfo uiCulture, String clientID, Boolean denormalizeImareUri)
 16:  at Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.EwaStringsHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
 17: Event Xml:
 18: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
 19:  <System>
 20:  <Provider Name="Microsoft-SharePoint Products-Excel Services Application" Guid="{278E40D0-FDAA-4EB4-AB6B-9E0AD6BDBE79}" />
 21:  <EventID>2026EventID>
 22:  <Version>14Version>
 23:  <Level>3Level>
 24:  <Task>2Task>
 25:  <Opcode>0Opcode>
 26:  <Keywords>0x8000000000000000Keywords>
 27:  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-04-11T18:48:53.212452800Z" />
 28:  <EventRecordID>2712EventRecordID>
 29:  <Correlation ActivityID="{0A2D57BD-F91C-4EBD-A57D-91EB19A7CCA6}" />
 30:  <Execution ProcessID="2408" ThreadID="3972" />
 31:  <Channel>ApplicationChannel>
 32:  <Computer>[Fully-qualified machine name]Computer>
 33:  <Security UserID="[User SID]" />
 34:  System>
 35:  <EventData>
 36:  <Data Name="string0"> at Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.MossHost.MossHost.Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.Host.IEwaHost.IsSecureConnection()
 37:  at Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.EwaCUIDataSource.EnsureDocument()
 38:  at Microsoft.Web.CommandUI.CUIDataSource.RunQuery(UIQuery query)
 39:  at Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.EwaRibbon.QueryRibbonDataSource(CultureInfo uiCulture, String clientID, Boolean denormalizeImareUri)
 40:  at Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.EwaStringsHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)Data>
 41:  EventData>
 42: Event>

Solution

A bit of Googling revealed that this is a known issue to the SharePoint team and that there is a hotfix for it and also a workaround.

Hotfix: KB2597014Description of the SharePoint Server 2010 cumulative update package (SharePoint server-package): December 13, 2011.  This is a rollup that you have to request from Microsoft (instructions at the KB link).  The specific problem is described in this article.

Workaround: You must create a blank site collection at the root of your installation to make Excel Services happy.